Lemon Blueberry Loaf (find all ingredients at local bulk food store or health food store)
If you are traveling and would like to take this with you, you can dry it. After taking it out of the oven, let it cool, then cut into slices, and cut each slice into 2, horizontally. Place on cookie sheet (on parchment paper). Bake for 1 1/2 hours at 325 F. Turn sides every 15 minutes. Allow to cool. Dip in your favourite hot drink! For vegans: Substitute eggs with Flax paste (boil 1/2 cup flax seeds for 15 minutes – put through sifter – use the gel that comes out the bottom of the sifter to substitute for the eggs. Throw leftover seeds in strainer out.
1 1/4 cups almond meal or blanched almond flour
1/4 cup hulled hemp seeds
1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs + 2 egg whites
1/2 cup coconut oil or ghee, melted
1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
3 tbsp lemon juice
zest from 2 lemons
1 and 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
FOR THE GLAZE:
1/3 cup coconut butter, softened
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350′ F. Grease a loaf pan and cut a piece of parchment paper to line the bottom of pan. Lightly grease sides of pan.
- Combine almond flour, hemp seeds, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, coconut oil, honey/maple syrup, lemon juice, and lemon zest until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until well incorporated.
- Spread one third of the batter onto bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle 1/3 of the blueberries on top. Spread another third of the batter and another third of the blueberries. Repeat one more time with the remaining batter and berries.
- Bake 32-37 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cover with foil if top begins to brown too much. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- While loaf cools, prepare the glaze by whisking together all of the glaze ingredients. Add hot water 1 tablespoon at a time until you have a glossy, liquidy, smooth consistency. Once loaf has cooled, remove from pan and pour glaze over top of loaf, letting it drips down the sides. Omit the glaze if your are doing the travel version listed above. Enjoy!